Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What Not To Do Wednesday on Backing Up (Files)

I had to add the (Files) part, 'cause honestly, there are some followers out there who might think I meant driving. And driving is not one of my um, strongpoints.

Backing up files was not one of my strongpoints, either. But after an epic crash, you could say I had a "crash" course in file-backing-up. I don't like to dwell on those dark days, grasshopper. Anyway, we're not talking about me today. We're talking about you and your need to back up files.

There are online storage sites you can use to back up your files. Or you can use a flash drive. Assuming you can remember where your flash drive is. Or you can just email yourself important files. That's what I do with my "pre-published" manuscripts.

I've probably explained all of this before, grasshopper, but it bears repeating. Because I just got a message from my new PC. Something to the effect of "Okay, Sister, you haven't backed up your files. Don't come crying to me when you lose every last word of your latest scathingly brilliant manuscript. All because you couldn't take a lousy 30 seconds to back up files."

Oh, PC. You really have a way with words.