Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What Not To Do Wednesday on Livening up a Dead Website

I don't have much time here, but it being Wednesday, I thought I'd share a quick What-Not-To-Do on links and websites and such. To wit, I'm on the agent quest right now and it occurred to me that an agent might take a peek at my online presence. And what will he or she see?

Ooooh, grasshopper. That's a scary thought. Because I've recently scanned a few articles on what a great website for a writer/author should be and I'm a wee bit concerned.

I'm concerned that I might have a few horror-type links out there. Take the vampire link, for instance. That's the link that was doing its thing, hanging out peacefully, buried as it were, in the website. But suddenly, when I click on it...it's not there! Maybe it'll come back, maybe it won't. But I can't take that chance. So I'll dump that link.

Then there's the mummy link. That's the one that's so old and tattered, the one I've dragged around from one website update to the next. Perhaps it's time to put that dated link out of its misery.

Of course, there's also the zombie link. It may not be on your website, but it's out there, following you around FOREVER. No matter what else you write, this link always seems to pop up around your name. WHY WON'T YOU DIE, YOU STINKING LINK???

Well. There's not much I can do about the zombie link. But I really need to send a few queries out today, so don't do what I did, grasshopper, and wait till five minutes before you hit the send button. Stay on top of those horrible links and keep your website and online presence alive and well.

(As for the zombie links, it's every woman for herself.)