Monday, February 28, 2011

After the Conference is Over...


Whew! I don't know about you, but when I get home from a really wonderful writing conference, my head feels like it's about to burst with an info overload. My synapses are firing away with renewed vigor and ideas are popping into my brain like those Pop Rocks candy. I can't wait to get to the keyboard, to put my splendiferous writing plans into action!


And then, after a few days, I begin to decompress and all that wonderful writing inspiration begins to drip, drip, drip out of me, perhaps landing on the kitchen floor, where I stand in front of the pantry, sneaking yet another Girl Scout cookie, and wondering what exactly I was so all-fired up about.


This time, I'm determined to keep the writing fire in my belly. It helps that the Southern Breeze SCBWI Springmingle Conference comes at the end of February, so now I can start March with my um, marching orders to myself. To wit:


Review my notes and apply all that learning and editor/agent wisdom to my manuscript. Honestly, I thought my manuscript sparkled with glittery brilliance, plus a dollop of awesome sauce on the top. Now I'm thinking it may need a splash of rewrites.


So, I'm going to need focus, discipline, my notes and maybe one of those books the presenters recommended. I'll be sharing specifics over at Finders & Keepers for the next few weeks, if you're in need of inspiration and marching orders.


And okay, I'm still going to need plenty of Girl Scout cookies. Don't give me that look... they're an excellent and tasty source of energy. (P.S. I'm not sharing the Thin Mints.)