Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What Not To Do Wednesday on Limitations

You know that line from Cool Hand Luke...A man has to know his limitations?

I guess it's not politically correct, but I'm a big believer in that line, grasshopper. And now that May is winding down, I'm very glad I listened to that little voice in my head that said, "A woman has to know her limitations."

'Cause with state golf tournaments, movings out and movings in, graduations, birthdays, Mother's Day and the day-to-day crises that I like to call my "regular" life, I could have had a scathingly stressful month, trying to produce at my normal output. Instead, I took a look at my calendar and made a different kind of writing plan. I decided to work on a long-term, on-going project. I kinda like where it's going, even if I'm not quite finished yet.

And I worked on marketing tasks (that I can do in little chunks) and growing the business (that I can do at odd times). I'm hoping that will translate into financial gains down the road. For sure, there won't be much in the plus column on the May ledger. But that's okay. Sometimes, grasshopper, the business of raising children and family tasks can't wait for the right time and date.

Sometimes, a woman's got to know her limitations.