Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What Not to Do Wednesday: Contest Feelings...Oh, Feelings

Oh, little grasshopper, I am so annoyed. Extremely annoyed. Maniacally annoyed. Okay, that's a little extreme. But I am seriously, definitely feeling ticked off.

When I considered a certain contest a few months ago, I had one of those feelings. A not good, I-can-feel-it-in-my-gut feeling. But I pushed that feeling down, sat on it, in fact, and paid my five bucks. And now I'm feeling used, bruised, and stupid.

I did not follow one of Cathy C. Hall's rules for contests: wait a bit before entering. Maybe that first time around contest is legitimate, especially if it's associated with a website that's constantly updated and/or is associated with a reputable name. But a website that's all about a contest-only can be a money-making mill for a savvy web designer. And do you, little grasshopper, have any recourse if a website takes your hard-earned Fortune and runs?

Er, no. So wait a bit if you come across a contest website that has a "dicey feel". Give the contest time to establish its credentials. Then, if you pay your five bucks and lose it, all you'll feel is rejected. Which is way better than feeling stupid. Trust me.