Friday, March 14, 2008

Finding Something Friday...Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

I'm not gonna lie. When I found today's gem, I could hardly wait till Finding Something Friday came along to post it. And now I hear there's a tornado in the area and I may have to run like a girly-girl to the basement any minute...

So quick, here it is: The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. Bulwer-Lytton is the author who immortalized that line, It was a dark and stormy night (kind of like tonight). The fiction contest is ridiculously simple. Come up with your own terribly cliched and wretchedly-written opening line.

But the easy factor is not what I love about this contest. It's reading the past winning entries. Go on and take a look at them here.

I'll tell you what's not easy. Try reading these winning lines and looking like you're hard at work. That's what I was attempting with the beneficent Mr. Hall lurking about in the office, giving me the old "what's so funny fish-eye".

Here's something else I'm not gonna lie about. I LOVE my writing job, thanks to those HI-larious competitions that come along like the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction contest. (Even if I don't win the Fame or Fortune!)