Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday's Thoughts on Random (But Writerly!) Things

So, I'm getting down to writerly business (Really. I am.), but I've got a few thoughts jumbling around in my head, banging to get out. And you know what they say, "There's more room on the outside..."

*On Why I Don't Journal

Someone asked me recently about journaling. The someone happened to be a non-writer, but writers often ask me if I journal. And the short answer is no, I don't seem to be able to stick with journaling. I do write down funny things I've heard, or jot a story idea, and make endless Things To Do Lists, but that's not the same as journaling. I write stories. I suspect that helps me work out the stuff I'd journal about, if I could stick with journaling.

*On Reading a Really Good Book (When You're a Writer)

I'm reading Incarceron right now. Actually, I'm inhaling Incarceron. Before I started writing Young Adult fiction, I could read books and thoroughly enjoy the experience. But now, when I read a really good YA book, I want to bang my head on the desk, then throw my manuscript into the fireplace, light a match to it, and cry in despair because I will never, ever write something even close to that really good YA book. And then the Beneficent Mr. Hall finds me in a closet and asks, "What the heck is wrong with you?" I try to explain but it's impossible to explain because of course, the man has such ridiculous faith in me until he really starts to worry and says, "Maybe you should try some other job?" Somehow, I manage to drag myself out of the closet and get back to work. But first, I read a really crappy book. (Coincidentally, I have a lot of stories where characters face their shortcomings.)

*On Looking for Mrs. (or Mr.) Agent

It's a tough business, looking for an agent. Rejection is part of the game. And just for the record, I do not crawl into closets after every rejection (Mostly because I'd end up living in the closet.). But when I get a personal rejection, even if it's just a reply with my NAME in it, I don't feel so bad. And if an agent takes the time to say something nice, even if it's just a couple words about the title, or liking the humor, I'm thrilled. It's a crazy world when I'm fist-pumping over rejection.

So, I think I've got a little room in my head now to get back to writing. After I put a little ice on the banged-up part.