Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tooting My Horn Tuesday: Deep South Magazine on Being Polite

Dadgum it!

I meant to tell all y'all about my essay in Deep South Magazine-and remind you to vote for your favorite Southern saying in the T shirt contest. Now, it's too late to vote! But you can still check out the Southern sayings. (I sent in "Hush up," which is just about as Southern as it comes. It didn't get picked. Maybe the folks at Deep South thought I was telling them to hush up.)

Anyway, you may recall that Deep South Magazine was the Market of the Month-and I didn't waste any time sending over my essay, "Being Polite." I'd be tickled to death if you gave it a read. You can't make these things up, as they say.

Well, you can. But in this case, I didn't. When I was visiting with family last week, an argument of sorts broke out as we all remembered that evening differently. In the end, my version prevailed as the truth. Mostly. Which just goes to show, you can't put a roomful of Southerners in one place without folks making a fuss. (Coincidentally, another Southern expression I sent in.)

So, how about you? Do you have a favorite Southern saying? I'd really like to know.

Honest to Pete.