Sunday, September 25, 2011

St. Francis de Sales, Patron Saint of Writers


Yes, I'm a little late for Finding Something Friday. But Sunday's a good day, too, don't you think?

A friend gave me a holy card of St. Francis de Sales because he's known as the patron saint of writers and journalists. I didn't know St. Francis de Sales was my occupation's patron saint, but I'm glad to have one. Most of the time, I call upon St. Anthony of Padua, who's the patron saint of lost articles. He is a very handy saint to have around, no matter how old you are, but he's been working overtime for me in the last couple years.

What I really loved about the holy card from my friend was the prayer on the back. It's commonly referred to as "Be at Peace." I think it's the perfect prayer for writers who often get anxious about so much that is beyond their control, and perhaps because we have the kind of imagination that easily gets out of control. But I also think it's the kind of prayer that comforts us all, at any time in our lives.


Do not look forward in fear to the changes of life;

Rather look to them with full hope that as they arise,
God, whose very own you are, will lead you safely
through all things;

And when you cannot stand it, God will carry you
in His arms.

Do not fear what may happen tomorrow;

The same everlasting Father who cares for you today
will take care of you today and every day.

He will either shield you from suffering or will give you
unfailing strength to bear it.

Be at peace and put aside all anxious thoughts and
imaginations.


Now that I think about it, Sunday's the perfect day for a prayer--and peace to my writer friends!