Thursday, September 1, 2011

Letter to a New Writer

Dear New Writer,

I was so excited when I saw you at the writer's group today! I know you were probably a little nervous, and I know how hard it was for you to read aloud what you'd written. But you took that first step, and good for you! You're on your way! I'm feeling downright Seussical!

Look at you go! Off to start your journey--and you're just about to bust with all the excitement of this new passion for writing! You have so much to say, and you can't wait to get all your words out there! Right now, you're busy creating and imagining and the ideas flow so fast, you can barely get them all on the paper. That's a great beginning!

I want you to remember that joy. I want you to grab hold to all those wonderful feelings and store them away. I wish you could have heard yourself gushing when you talked about what you're working on. Or seen your face lighting up as you jumped from one thought to the next!

I was so glad I was there, to see your bright, shining face, to hear the excitement in your voice as you shared your writing dreams. Because in those few moments, I remembered. That's why I love writing.

Thank you, thank you, dear new writer.