Monday, May 16, 2011

Writing A Pitch: As Easy as 1-2-3 (Okay, There's a 4, 5, Maybe Up to 10)

Whilst catching up with emails and such, I came across an issue of Writing World that I hadn't quite perused yet. I think that's where I happened upon this delightful link to Kathy Carmichael's Story Pitch Generator.

(Is it just me, or am I talking a bit fancy? That's what happens when I read proper writing like I findest in Writing World.)

Anyway, yes, it's a simple generator. But here's what I love, love, love about this funny, little tool. It forces you to whittle away till you get to the essence of your novel. If you can't fill in the blanks quickly and easily, then you don't know yet what your novel's about. And how can you pitch something you haven't got a handle on yet?

It's enough to make you want to pitch your manuscript out the window! Instead, take a deep breath and think about the simple questions. Really thinkest.

Bet you'll find that pitch, after all. (Better go get your manuscript out of the bushes while you're at it.)