Friday, January 7, 2011

Finding Something Friday on Poetry! Contests! Polar Bears!

First, a little poetic inspiration to get you primed and ready to write:

I love myself, I love me so!
I took myself to the picture show.
I wrapped my arms around my waist.
I got so fresh, I slapped my face!

Hahahaha! I wish I could claim that, but it's one of my mom's jewels from back in the day. If I could use that little poem, I might send it in to one of the poetry contests I'm considering. To wit:

The Poetry Society of Virginia's Contest (Deadline: January 19)

The North Carolina Poetry Society's Adult Contest (Deadline: January 15)

The Pennsylvania Poetry Society Contest (Deadline: January 15)

Now, if I'm being perfectly honest, my poetry skills are not exactly scathingly brilliant. But I do so love poetry. Or at least the poetry I understand.

I love the way a lyrical poem makes words sing. And I love how images spring into my mind when I hear a poem read aloud. I can appreciate the wonder of a beautifully wrought poem, even if I can't exactly wrought one up for myself.

But that doesn't keep me from trying. And with the entry fees for these contests, I can afford to send my pitiful poems out into the world. Because ...

I love my poems. I love them so!
The ones of joy, the ones of woe.
I send them out all over the place-
Makes judges want to slap my face!

(P.S. About the Polar Bears. Um, that was a shameless ploy on my part to grab folks who like Polar Bears and convince them to follow my blog. I'm not sure if Polar Bear lovers would enjoy a blog about writing and such, but who doesn't like winning a Barnes and Noble gift card? Of course, you can't win if you don't sign on to be a follower. Or get your friends to sign on as a follower. I mean, if you get 20 of your friends to sign on here, that gives you 20 entries. Just make sure your friends let me know. And if you're a rabid Polar Bear lover who feels shamelessly manipulated, I'm very sorry. I could write you a swell poem if that will make you feel better.)