Tuesday, December 14, 2010

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch Virus

You know how I feel about my laptop computer, right? No offense to the desktop computer (who's listening as I type away here) but my precious is so zippy fast! And so easy to take along, no matter where I roam. And did I mention fast?

But thanks to the latest virus (imagine me saying that with a snarl), I am laptopless at the moment. I'm so distraught that I'm even making up words like laptopless. And what really frosted me was finding out that my old reliable desktop computer (with a veritable treasure chest of anti-virus jewels on it) is just as susceptible to this virus. Why, you may ask?

Because it takes awhile for anti-virus software to catch up with new viruses. So, I'm a little nervous here. But I wanted to pass along a tip that may save you BIG bucks.

According to The Computer Guy, this virus (called System Tool) is in advertising on popular sites, like social networking spots and video-sharing hangouts because these sites carry heavy advertising. You don't have to necessarily click on an ad (I didn't); if your mouse rolls over one, the virus can get in. Keep your mouse in the center of the page.

On a related note, remember to back up your files on a regular basis. Fortunately, I found the article I needed to work on in an email. But that novel I'd started in November, with 7 or 8 chapters completed? Hadn't got around to saving that yet. So I had to pay the premium price to debug my precious, the price that would keep my files intact.

On another related note, guess what the Beneficent Mr. Hall is giving me for Christmas?