Friday, October 24, 2008

Finding Something Friday Finally Finds Something Familial

Try saying that five times in a row!

I'm having one of those Fridays when I can't find a thing, much less a few writerly things. But after a foray into the piles of papers stacked next to the computer, I think I may have finally come up with an interesting tidbit.

Wait, that's a cheese cracker. But under the cheese cracker is a note about a market. Familia Books is looking for stories about moms to be jammed packed into a title tentatively called "Wisdom of our Mothers."

Now, I love my mom. And she's a wise woman. But every time I tell a story about my mom, I get into trouble. It always comes down to the way I remember things and the way mom remembers things. Never the two shall meet. So, even though I could certainly use a hundred bucks, I may have to pass on this newest mom book. But if you're willing to take that chance, check out the details here. You have till November 30th to submit your motherly wisdom stories...or not.

Of course, you only have a week left in October to submit to all those other markets you've been considering...The First Line, the LaChance dog stories, the Memories of the 70's contest.

Wait, did I tell you about the Memories of the 70's contest? See, now I have to find something else...hold on a sec.

Okay, the National Association of Baby Boomer Women (Oh, that's me!) want your 500 word essay about a memory from the seventies that you may be inclined to share with grandkiddies. Or maybe a memory that red, hot searing pokers in your eyes couldn't get you to tell the grandkiddies. The choice is yours. Now, I don't have grandkiddies yet, but judging as to how well my kiddies take to my stories, I don't really think it matters. What matters must be whether you can remember anything from the seventies.

Frankly, the seventies are a little fuzzy for me. If the NABBW sponsor a Sharing the Memories from the 80's contest I've got a doozy of a story about the Vatican. But if you've got something you'd like to share circa 1970ish, by all means go check out the details here.

And get writing! I can't find another thing around here.