Thursday, June 26, 2008

I've got a Secret (Thanks, Mr. Bly!)

Do you have a stack of writing books laying about that you never seem to get around to actually reading because you're too busy writing? Or maybe that's just me...Anyway, with lightning striking willy nilly I thought it might be a good idea to get off the computer and do something else. So I picked up Robert W. Bly's Getting Started as a Freelance Writer (better late than never.)

I had to read his Ten Secrets to Success because hey, if someone's giving up his secrets, I'm all over that. And since I've never been very good at keeping secrets, here is Secret Number One:

1. Define what success means to you.

It sounds simple enough, doesn't it? But have you ever really thought about what you consider to be success? Not what your parents think of as success...or your friends...or your spouse. Now that I think of it, I'm glad that the beneficent Mr. Hall's idea of success involves paying bills and such.

That gives me the freedom to pursue what success means to me--working at something I love. How about you? What does success mean to you? C'mon and share...it'll be our secret.