Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wit of the Day: Groucho Marx




I love, love, LOVE used book sales! Look at all the books I picked up for just a couple bucks! One of my favorite books in the pile is that Treasury of Wit & Wisdom. Because a. I love a good witticism and b. I can use all the wisdom I can get.


Sadly, I do not always have time for wit and wisdom. But then, in what can only be called a witty and wise moment, I had a thought. I bet you like wit and wisdom, too! So I'm going to share here, on the blog; that should motivate me. Occasionally. And possibly, I'll share a bit of trivia about the person I'm quoting. Because I love, love LOVE bizarre factoids about people, too. I'm not sure why.


To wit:



"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."



~Groucho Marx



I'm pretty sure I could have used this line earlier today, trying to figure out something on the Internets. And now a few odd tidbits about Groucho. He dropped out of school at the age of 12, but wrote several books and was friends with T.S. Eliot and Carl Sandberg. He was also friendly with Elton John (though he called him John Elton). And for many years, on stage and the movies, that trademark moustache? Greasepaint.


What about you? Got a favorite Groucho Marx quote or story? Do share!

(P.S. That's a candy scarecrow necklace, propped up there, on top of the books. Though when I wore it, I felt like it was this cute, little candy person, swinging by its poor little candy neck. Ew.)