Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What Not To Do Wednesday on Over-Doing Social Doings (or Pardon Me, There's A Media Monkey on Your Back)



I watched one of those packaged specials on the news last night about people spending too much time on Facebook. Something like "Facebook Addiction--Where Will it Lead?" The piece had a rather ominous tone, I must say.



I suppose there are folks out there who can't do without their Facebook fix. Or Twitter tips, or listening in on LinkedIn, or connecting with any of a dozen other social media messaging. Whereas I can walk away anytime I want.



Sort of.


Here's the thing, grasshopper. From a business standpoint, social media has value. I think Twitter might be better for massive marketing, but I like Facebook for blogging connections. And I like Facebook for personal connections, too. So I want to stay social media savvy. But when I jump into Facebook or Twitter, or even blog surfing, I can easily use up hours.


HOURS. And though I come across tons of informative posts (because seriously, there are a ton of brilliant folks out there, sharing their expertise), I may get a teensy bit carried away, reading one post, zipping to another...then another...then another.


Until I look up and dang. It's lunchtime and I haven't written a single word (unless you count scathingly brilliant comments here and there. Which I'm counting. So there.).


But pithy comments do not a manuscript, essay, or short story make. And so I'm forced to face the ugly truth: I may...okay, okay, I have a social media problem. I usually deal with it by going cold turkey for a week or so. And then I ease back in, using moderation.


So don't over-do the social doings, grasshopper, at the expense of your writing. Write FIRST. Or if you need a little warm-up, set a limit for how much time you'll spend, media socializing. Then stick to it.


Because when you think about it, it's your brilliant writing that you're trying to promote and sell. Pour hours into that, grasshopper, and then use social media to tell the world.



(We shall discuss the proper way to exploit one's self, using humility, dignified grace, and monkey-mad media marketing skills at a later date.)