Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tooting My Horn Tuesday for Flashlight Memories!




So we're driving home from church, and it being Easter Sunday, the all-grown-up Junior Halls were sitting in the back seat.




Now, it's not easy to get out of the parking lot on a regular Sunday, but for Easter, it's a real test of patience and Christian love. We waited...and waited...and waited. Suddenly, Juniorette Hall piped up from the back seat.



"What are you doing, John?"



"Do you mind?" he asked. "I'm reading our (wonderful and scathingly brilliant) mom's story in this book."



He was holding my copy of Flashlight Memories. I brought it along a week or so ago on an out-of-town trip (and read the stories). Somehow, it had migrated to the back seat and out of my mind. All I can say is thank goodness for (inquisitive) Junior Halls sitting in the back seat.



Flashlight Memories is such a delightful book! The (incredibly industrious) folks over at Silver Boomer Books gathered a ton of (charming) stories related to favorite reading memories, especially from those childhood days when the love of reading first takes root. I wrote about my favoritest little Golden Book, "A Pickle for a Nickel" by Lillian Moore. I sigh every time I think of that funny, little storybook.





So, that's the end of that story (never let it be said that the all-grown-up Junior Halls are good for nothing).