Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What Not To Do Wednesday on Dreams




The chance of celebrating a white Christmas in Georgia is about as good as...well, a snowball's chance you-know-where. But lo! Late Christmas afternoon, snow fell upon my sweet, Southern homeland. A holiday dream come true!


Which brings me to that time of year, grasshopper, when the old year is taking its last gasps and the smell of the brand-spanking New Year is in the air. It's when I'm sitting in my favorite, over-stuffed chair, the Christmas tree leaning a little to the right, peppermint pieces stuck in the carpet, that I take to pondering dreams.


Sure, some folks call 'em "resolutions." Others might even call 'em "goals." But I like to ponder dreams. Dreams of getting a contract for that book I've been writing all year long. Dreams of making enough income from my writing to come out in the plus column. Dreams of hearing the words "Newbery Award" and Cathy C. Hall in the same sentence.


I mean, what's the use of dreaming if you can't dream big? Of course, I don't just ponder and dream. I make lists of Things To Do to get my big-time dreams on track. Still, pondering, dreaming, and making lists is not going to get you far along the track. Don't quit there, grasshopper. Follow through and do the important stuff. Write. Read. Write. Revise. Write. Rewrite. Day by day, month in, month out. January till December.


Because dreams can come true, grasshopper. I've got the pictures to prove it.