Friday, December 17, 2010

Finding Something Friday: A Christmas Play!




Wheee! I found a BIG surprise in my mailbox!



Okay, not technically big. Puppet Plays for Libraries is a slim little gem. But in spirit, it was HUGE.



You see, it's been over a year since I was paid for my play, "Oh, Dear! Oh, Deer!" I hadn't heard a word from the editor in ages. And I'd just about decided that this worthy project was a no-go.



But, wheee! I opened the envelope this month to find my swell book! And as it happens, my play has a Christmas tie-in, what with Santa Claus making an appearance. But it's mostly a funny, mix-up kind of play explaining the concept of homonyms to little kidlets.



When I saw this call out for plays to be included in a book for use by libraries, I wasn't sure I could manage an entire play. But I thought it would be fun to try. Plus, you know how I love libraries (and that goes for those puppet plays,too!). And you know what? I found that play-writing tapped into my favorite aspect in story-telling: dialogue.



You can find a sample of the book here. And you can find out more about the program and the librarians who came out with this idea (plus how to order Puppet Plays for Libraries) here.



Oh, and I also found myself in Bethlehem today. But if you want to know more about that trip, you'll have to go see Cathy-on-a-Stick for her tasteful take on the day.



Yes, tasteful. It's Bethlehem, y'all. (Okay, it's mostly tasteful.)