Monday, November 29, 2010

Monday Musings on Nano, Dust, and Prophets In Their Own Land


So, fine. I didn't earn all my swell Nanowrimo badges.


I did write a swell beginning for the next novel in my series and hash out an outline for that book as well as the next book. And I earned the Creative Nonfiction badge by placing barely disguised friends and family members into my novel as characters. Although, if I'm being perfectly honest, I earn that badge everytime I write. Sometimes, I even earn a few good-natured threats to sue me if I don't remove certain things about certain characters in my novels.


Next, I learned a little thing or two about cleaning, due to the fact that I spent Thanksgiving, as well as the weekend, with a throbbing sinus headache. Thing One is that I disturbed the perfect balance of dust and germs in my home, thereby releasing said dust and germs into the air and straight up my nose into my brain. Thing Two is that I always harbored a sneaky suspicion that cleaning was highly overrated, and now I have scientific proof that dusting and such will make you sick.


Finally, one of the Junior Halls shared that a college friend visited my blog. The conversation went something like this:


JUNIOR HALL: So this friend said she checked out your blog. She was like, "Hey! Do you ever read your mom's blog? 'Cause she's really funny!"


ME: Why, thank you! Do you read my blog?


JUNIOR HALL: Um, no.


ME: Not ever? At all?


JUNIOR HALL: Do you want me to say yes? 'Cause I sense that you want a certain answer here.


I'm putting that in my next novel. And I'm not even bothering to cleverly disguise it.