Tuesday, September 7, 2010

On Winning Contests, Crazy Aunt Cloe, and Bubble Gum

Dear Donna (of Donna's Book Pub),

You cannot imagine how thrilled I was to receive my contest-winning package today! Why, the very first thing I did was open that bubble gum and start chewing! I wanted to blow a BIG bubble for you, to show you just how much I appreciated my prizes!

So I chewed my Citrus Bubblegum a bit because you can't blow a bubble just like that. And while I chewed, I read a delightful story, written by your granddaughter, Cari. The story was from the very first Cuivre River Anthology (of the Saturday Writers) and it was all about Crazy Aunt Cloe. I thought it was sorta funny that me and crazy Aunt Cloe's names both begin with C. In fact, there are many folks who have called me crazy. But I figure that was all just a BIG coincidence.

Then I thought maybe the gum was ready, so I tried to blow my bubble. And then I said to myself, "Self, wouldn't it be a fine thing if I could show off my bubble-blowing?" You see, Donna, when I was a wee, little girl, I won a bubble-blowing contest. You don't forget skills like that. Off I went to find the camera. But when I took the picture, it came out like this:



It was a lousy bubble, anyway. So I chewed some more and read (though there were moments when I forgot to chew, so riveting were the words that crossed the pages) your story from A Cup of Comfort for Military Families. Then I collected myself and blew again.



Do you know how hard it is to blow a bubble and take a picture of it at the same time? But I persevered, because you're a special person, and dadgum it, you went to a lot of trouble for me. And you shared your wonderful stories with me. So, Donna, this bubble's for you!



Warmly,

Cath