Monday, May 3, 2010

May Day (and Writing Beginnings)


It's May!

It's May! The month of "Yes, you may!"


If you recognize those lyrics from Camelot, and can hear Julie Andrews singing "The Lusty Month of May," then we're probably a. pretty much the same age and b. soul mates.


But I'm bringing up that song for more than just a seeking out of similar-aged soul mates (though that's always a pleasure, too). The truth is, I played writing hooky on the first of the month-and I'm blaming it on May Day. How can a body get writing goals and business in order when celebrating the glories of God's green earth? Or the joys of His Mother, Mary?


(For Catholic girls back in the day, the month ushered in the May Crowning, when we'd gather bouquets of flowers or roses from our yards and file into church to lay our offerings before Mary. "Oh, Mary, we crown you with blossoms today...", another song I want to hum on May Day.)


So, now's it time to take out my calendar and list all my lovely writing goals. First, I'll fill in regular gigs on their due dates. Then, I'll take a look at a few markets or contests that I want to submit to this month, and I'll add them to my calendar. Finally, I'll pencil in time for work on my YA maunscript. I'll tack my calendar on the wall next to my computer so I can keep up with the month's objectives. It's all very organized and scathingly professional.


Or I might just hang out in my lounge chair, drinking cherry limeade and reading some cheesy paranormal thriller. Because, hey, it's May.


(Photo from stock.xchng)