Friday, July 31, 2009

Finding Something Friday on Cup of Comfort Webinar

Everybody has a story. Everybody.

The thing is, some people are natural born storytellers, and some people, not so much. But that doesn't mean you can't learn the art.

I learned by writing a lot of funny, personal essays. And getting a lot of those essays rejected. I'd like to say that the rejections were the result of some editor not appreciating the scathingly witty tales of Cathy C. Hall. But I suppose that would be a...what's the word? Oh, yeah. Lie.

The truth is that I had to learn all the fundamentals. And that kinda took longer than I planned. But if Cup of Comfort had offered this webinar a few years ago, I might have jumped to the head of the essay class without all that banging of my thick head against the rejection wall.

Which leads to the email I found in my inbox. There it was, in black and white... Crafting a Narrative Essay:How To Apply Elements of Fiction to Your Non-Fiction Story. You can check it out here, at Cup of Comfort. You'll learn about pacing and dialogue, setting and structure, and all kinds of other helpful things you need to write your hilarious (or not so hilarious, if you wish) story.

And then, if you wish, you can sell it. 'Cause everybody likes to make a little money. Everybody.