Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Five (Writing) Gifts Money Can't Buy

I can't wait to start clicking away with my new digital camera! I'm not sure my photo-taking skills will improve, but those high-quality pictures are bound to help when I submit all those queries. That's the writing gift I asked for this Christmas.


Then I started thinking about all those writing gifts that don't cost a thing. Well, maybe a little teeth-gritting and imagination, or some of that splendiferous butt glue, but all in all, I think I can afford these gifts.


1. GOALS: The trick to good goals is making them challenging enough to give you a good push, but also realistic enough so that frustration/failure don't become constant companions. So, I think I'll pare down that $200,000 yearly income goal. But sending out two queries a week may be just what I need to meet a more er, reasonable financial goal.


2. PATIENCE: Yeah, I know. War and Peace wasn't written in a day. (But then again, I'm no Tolstoy. Okay, Okay. I'll grit my teeth and try.)


3. EQUANIMITY: You win some, you lose some. Which in writing terms translates to um, you win some, you lose some. And then you carry on.


4. PERSEVERANCE: That's the "carrying on" part, the "picking up the bruised ego and trying again" part, the "just do it" part. I didn't realize that gift came in so many choices.


5. LAUGHTER: What would "What Not To Do Wednesday" be without my writing goofs? (Probably "What To Do Wednesday"...but c'mon. What's funny about that?)




Now that I'm looking at my list, it occurs to me that these no-cost gifts might be good for holiday stressed-out moms, or college graduates looking for a job, or even the most beneficent Mr. Hall. Who, speaking of holidays, actually pitched in today and ran a Christmas errand for yours truly. It was such a momentous occasion, I took a picture. (Wheee! Another gift money can't buy!)