Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Not to Do Wednesday: Don't Let Fear Hold You Back

That's a good theme for October, huh? I love writing in October because I'm so frightfully good at coming up with stuff!

Anyway, back to the point, my yellow-bellied grasshopper. How many times have you let your fears keep you from doing something writing-related? Haven't submitted because you're afraid your writing's not good enough? Haven't tried a new market because you're afraid you're too green? Haven't asked an editor a question because you're afraid you'll sound like an idiot?

I recently had lunch with a friend who mentioned a fact about social networking that I hadn't considered. However, it happened that I had sent an article about social networking to one of my favorite markets. Oh, dear. I really needed to add something to that article. What to do?

You can probbaly guess that I opted to sound like the writing village idiot. I asked the editor if I could rewrite a section of that article and resubmit. And she was quite nice about the whole thing. For all I know, she'll take a second look at that article now that I've sent the new and improved version.

So, don't let your fears hold you back. Forge ahead. Except into the cellar if you're home all alone. Sheesh. Are you crazy????