Thursday, September 25, 2008

Repurposing Makes Cents


I started to write "Repurposing makes Sense," but then Wham! A brilliant thought popped in my head with "Repurposing Makes Cents."Even if I do say so myself.

Um, actually, this time it's not so much me saying so as it is Marcia Peterson over at Wow! Women on Writing. She wrote a very detailed How 2 in the latest issue that can answer every question you have about repurposing articles and show you how to make mo' money in the process. Check out Marcia's How 2 article here if you want a primer on the subject.




You know that I'm a big believer in repurposing. I do it all the time with essays. Take my latest essay, "The Sign Solution" over at New Christian Voices. When I originally wrote it, I had a work-at-home mom pub in mind (WAHM Magazine, for you nosy readers). I submitted the essay, but I hadn't heard anything in awhile. So, I took the thing out for a reread, and thought, "Hmmm. This little essay doesn't really work for that market." (To put the thought politely) I gave it a few humor tweaks and sent it over to NCV. Repurposed, the essay found a home and I've made a few cents.

But a part of that essay (how Mr. Hall likes music BLARING when he works vs. my need for silence when I work) was a nugget from a column I'd written over a year ago. But it was part of the new story regarding the sign solution. And that's repurposing, too.


So, now you can truly appreciate the title of this post! Even if I do say so myself.