Thursday, August 14, 2008

Children's Lit Bits: Starting Small Pays off Big

Here's a little tip I read recently: Children's magazines always need stuff like crafts, quizzes, and non-fiction ideas. But, of course, children's writers like to write children's fiction. There's more money to be made in selling stories, right?

Well, yes and no. Because to get a story sold may take ages. Meanwhile, to get a craft or non-fiction article accepted may not take nearly that long. And you can build a relationship with an editor while you're sending along all those sweet somethings that they need.

So, down the road, your sweet fiction is more likely to get a closer look. At least, that's what I'm hoping. 'Cause if you take a closer look at the envelope below, you'll see "Highlights." As in Highlights for Children Magazine. And that's my CONTRACT I'm sending back! I sold a craft today and did such an extended happy dance that Mr. Hall threatened to hose me down.




So trying sending a craft. It may seem like a little thing, but just that little bit may make all the difference.